Meet The Attorneys Of The DeMine Law Firm
Who is Attorney Indera DeMine?
Ms. DeMine is a resident of Southwest Florida and a solo practitioner located in downtown Fort Myers. Ms. DeMine started her immigration law career immediately after graduating Ave Maria School of Law in 2012. She began working for a local firm in Fort Myers, Florida for almost 4 years. As an immigrant herself, Ms. DeMine has always been passionate about Immigration law and welcomed the opportunity to help her clients navigate the often confusing, immigration process.
Ms. DeMine has represented clients in immigration court throughout Florida and has successfully defended clients in removal/deportation trials. Ms. DeMine has also represented clients before the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services and has guided her clients as they pursue petitions through the U.S. consulates around the world.
In September 2016, Ms. DeMine opened her solo practice focusing on immigration and nationality law. Ms. DeMine started the firm with the idea of having an immigration-only law firm in Fort Myers, Florida. She realized that there was a strong need for an attorney who specializes in immigration law and decided to open her own firm.
Ms. DeMine comes from a very supportive family. Her parents and two brothers live in New Jersey but maintain a close relationship with Ms. DeMine. Ms. DeMine's family immigrated in 2002 and since then, has worked hard to assimilate in the United States. Her father, who was once a small rice farmer in Mahaicony Creek, Guyana, is now a small business owner in NJ. Ms. DeMine credits every ounce of her success to her parents.
In her spare time, Ms. DeMine is very involved in the local bar association, the young lawyers division and the American Immigration Lawyers Association. She also volunteers her time on the weekends, giving free immigration consultation at local churches and community centers. Ms. DeMine is married to attorney Thomas DeMine who is a local criminal defense attorney in Fort Myers, Florida.
Ms. DeMine is also an active member of the following organizations:
1. Member, AILA National Chapter for Law Student Outreach
2. Chair, Immigration Committee, Lee County Indivisible Group
3. Member, Immigration Student Group, SW Florida Community Foundation
(Currently developing an immigration app - see: landofopportunityfund.org)
4. Member, Lee County Bar Association
5. Member, AILA SW FL and Central Chapter
6. Board Member, Lee County Bar, Young Lawyers Division
7. Member, News-Press Young Professional Advisory Board
Ms. DeMine has done the following presentations on immigration:
1. Provided legal advice by going to various churches in SW Florida through a program called “Conoscas sus Derechos.” This program went on for several weekend and I traveled to several churches throughout SW FL. This was through Lee County Legal Aid.
2. Spoke to United Way of Lee, Hendry and Glades county which led me to speaking at Lee County Human and Veteran Services and FISH, a non-profit organization in Sanibel Island.
3. Planned and Organized an immigration workshop with the Haitian American Democratic Club. I spoke at the organization’s monthly meetings and decided to host an immigration workshop offering free legal advice to participants.
4. Spoke at the Democratic Women’s Club.
5. Speaker for Southwest Florida Community Foundation titled, “The Contributions of Immigrats to the Southwest Florida Community.”
6. Speaker for the first annual Progressive Women’s Day in SW FL, speaking on Immigration. The event was covered by local media.
7. Spoke at immigration workshop at Lee Health Systems - one of the largest employer in SWFL.
8. Presented on Immigration at the Florida Literacy Coalition Annual Conference.
9. Spoke on Immigration at the Adult and Community Educators of Florida Summer Symposium.
10. Spoke about immigration at the Gulf Coast Paralegal Association monthly meeting.
11. Speaking at an upcoming seminar on Immigration with the LEE Building Industry Association.
12. Speaking at an upcoming Chamber of Commerce meeting on Sanibel Island.
13. Spoke on TPS/DACA issues to WGCU radio station.
Who is Attorney
Tom DeMine graduated from Clemson University in 2003 with Cum Laude honors, and received a Bachelor of Arts degree in Political Science and a minor in Legal Studies. While at Clemson, Tom made either the Dean's List or President's List (perfect 4.0 GPA) every semester. Tom continued his education at Stetson University College of Law (consistently ranked #1 law school in the nation in courtroom/trial advocacy). While at Stetson, he also made the Dean's List, graduated in the top third of his class, and received his Juris Doctor Degree in 2006.
Attorney Tom DeMine began his legal career as a Prosecuting Attorney with the State Attorney's Office in Lee County, Florida. Tom tried and prosecuted thousands of misdemeanor cases including DUI, petit theft, possession of marijuana, battery, and domestic violence, but was quickly promoted to the felony division in less than a year.
Within six months of being a felony attorney, Tom was already assigned his first murder case. Tom tried and prosecuted thousands of felony cases including burglary, grand theft, sale/trafficking of cocaine, sale/trafficking heroin, sale/trafficking of controlled substances (oxycodone, hydrocodone, etc...), murder, aggravated battery with a firearm/deadly weapon, aggravated assault with a firearm/deadly weapon, white collar theft, employee theft, and felony violations of probation. In 2008, Tom had the most jury trials in the entire felony division.
After three years as a prosecutor, Tom saw that many defendants simply were not getting the legal help that they needed, deserved, and were owed by the Constitution. Thus, Tom entered private criminal defense practice in Fort Myers, FL, in 2009. Since then, he has helped hundreds of clients charged with nearly every criminal offense (including DUI, petit theft, possession of marijuana, battery, domestic violence, burglary, grand theft, sale/trafficking of cocaine, sale/trafficking heroin, sale/trafficking of controlled substances (oxycodone, hydrocodone, etc...), murder, aggravated battery with a firearm/deadly weapon, aggravated assault with a firearm/deadly weapon, white collar theft, employee theft, misdemeanor/felony violations of probation, and even speeding/traffic tickets).
Mr. DeMine's Achievements
1.Tom has been recognized as one of the Top 100 Trial
Lawyers of America, and a Top 100 Criminal Defense Trial Lawyer.
2. Tom has achieved a perfect 10.0 rating according to AVVO.
3. Has been endorsed by over 12 local attorneys.
4. Is a member of the Florida Bar Association, the Lee County
5. Is a two-time past President of the Florida Association of
Criminal Defense Lawyers - Lee County Chapter.